Thursday, December 3, 2009

Missing Maddie

Today we had the horrible task of deciding to put our cat, Maddie to sleep. We will miss her.

Maddie was a cat that loved to be left alone yet you knew when she wanted something. She had the loudest howl I have ever heard from a cat. Mostly she would exercise her lungs when the rest of us were trying to get some shut eye. Many nights I woke up to her "singing". I remember one night shortly after we were married she was singing. I got up to quiet her down to find her in the kitchen with a dead mouse - yes a mouse in the house - I guess she wanted to give me a present.

Maddie put up with a lot in the last 3 years - since the boys came along. She never once scratched one of the boys even though they sometimes loved on her a bit too hard. Or thought she was something to drag around.

If you have a pet hug them, we never know how long they will be around to make us smile. We miss you girl.

2 comments:

The Caffeinated Mommy said...

Oh Kim!! So sad. Does Brady understand where Maddie went? I totally dread the day that one of our cats dies, because Zoey (and I) love them so much. Hugs to you guys!

Laurel C. said...

Deciding to put a pet to sleep is the hardest decision ever. We were in your shoes exactly one year ago. Doug's dog (of 11 years) became ill, and we let her go the first week of December 2008. The kids still say in their prayers, a year later, "Bless Button up in heaven." It's hard to teach children such an abstract concept such as death.

I certainly feel for you, Kim. It's hard to lose a pet who has come to mean so much to a family.