Sunday, February 10, 2008

Communication

It often amazes me how we communicate. We use words, gestures and looks to get what we want or say what we need. I really wonder how we communicated long distance before email and phone, I guess maybe we did it the old fashioned way by writing a letter. I still try and write my grandparents once a month because they so look forward to the letter. I often think how much easier it would be to send an email, but they do not have it. How time has changed.

We are really dealing with communication issues now with Brady. He is trying so hard to get us to understand him. When he is hungry he walks to the cupboard where the crackers are and points and grunts or screams. He is getting his point across, I know what he wants. However, it is always not that easy with a 15 month old. Some days I strike out trying to figure out what he wants. We are both then frustrated.

I say now that I cannot wait until he can chat with me, but then I know what will come next. The series of never ending "why" questions. Oh well, something to look forward to I guess.

I will post more pics soon.

2 comments:

Laurel C. said...

Have you looked into baby sign language? I taught Ethan two signs... "more" and "water." Just those two signs came in really handy! There are a million books written about baby signs that you could check out from the library if you are interested.

I know exactly what you are talking about with communication issues. Ethan is 2 years and 3 months old, and I still can't communicate with him. He grunts at me too! I understand completely how that gets to be aggravating most days. Ethan is being evaluated for an early intervention speech therapy program on Feb. 28. I hope we all benefit from it!

Rachel said...

Just keep talking to him, he will use your words, just make sure they are all nice words :)

Jake accuses me of "Chat, Chat" that's his way of saying I talk to much. Brady will find his voice, be patient, all things come in time.