Friday, March 6, 2009

Month of firsts

Our little boy Colby turned 6 months this past weekend, it is so hard to believe that he is already 6 months. Every time I think of how quickly he is growing, it makes me sad yet happy. He is becoming such a big boy. Size wise he has way passed Brady at the same age, I think we may have our own little linebacker!

Over the last month there were many firsts for the boys. It is amazing how fast it happens and how many can happen at the same time. Here are a few:

*Brady is now sleeping in a big boy bed. We bought the boys bunk beds for future use and Brady is sleeping in his bed. The first few days he was not sure he wanted to stay in the bed and would end up falling asleep on the floor. I found him one afternoon on the floor with all of his animals, his diaper off, but pants on. He managed to pull his pants off, take the diaper off and put his pants back on, backwards (and they were jeans). But now he LOVES his bed. And I love the fact that when he wakes up he actually stays in bed. He has his bucket of books right next to the bed, so he will wake and either read or talk to his animals on the bed. It is so cute to listen to him on the monitor.

*Colby is eating food, well rice cereal, but we consider it food. It took a while for him to take to the taste, I for one would never take to that taste (if you have never tried it, give it a shot). He gagged a lot and spit it out for weeks, but finally persistence paid off.

*Colby also started to crawl, the army man crawl that is. I know I am in trouble with both of them being mobile now. Forget the gym, I am sure I will get plenty of exercise with chasing them.

*We took an overnight trip with the boys to "test" out the hotel room idea. We wanted to see how traveling will work, not too bad but it could have been better. It was lights out in the room at 8:30 and Brady was finally asleep by 9:45. I think I slept the least, worrying that someone was going to roll off the bed. Any tips on hotel sleeping would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure when will take our next trip, but at least we know it is possible to get to sleep.

I am sure there were many more firsts this last month, but my mind is failing me right now. Besides I figured those who read this and check for updates from me would just be glad to read something.

4 comments:

The Caffeinated Mommy said...

Such big boys!! Thanks for the update and pictures, although the picture of the toilet/washing machine is still my favorite. Hooray for Brady sleeping in a big boy bed, and Colby for deciding to love "real" food! ;-)

Laurel C. said...

Yes, you are right... I am glad to see an update from you! I check every day.

I know what you mean about being happy and sad to see little babies grow up. I think life gets easier the bigger the baby gets, but it's still sad to watch your little baby slip away.

Hotel trips. We usually get a room with two beds, then split up... Doug with one kid in one bed, me in the other with kid #2. Then a pillow forcefield around the edges for possible roll outs. Works great for us.

Your boys are so cute! Love the picture of Colby! What a sweetheart.

Rachel said...

I think its funny you did a test run of the hotel thing. Just put the boys on the floor in sleeping bags, isn't that what we did as kids? I love that Colby is going to be the big little brother.
And yes, we do check in on the blog to see what is happening. Did you see that Julianne started a blog?
http://rawlinsreplay.blogspot.com/
It's cute :)

Julianne said...

Hee Hee! Hotel trips are so fun. Sometimes we take bed rails with us to hotels or we do like Rachel said and put them on the floor. We need to find out how to get Emilyn to sleep when we are on hotel or camping trips. When everyone else is in the sleeping area with her, she likes to socialize until like 11:00 p.m.